Summer is fast approaching and homeowners are preparing their HVAC units to regulate indoor temperatures and keep everyone at home comfortable. However, one shouldn’t forget about passive ventilation and the benefits it contributes to your home’s comfort and energy-efficiency.
In today’s post, top window and roof replacement contractors, Turner Home Improvement, talks about the benefits of passive ventilation and how you can maximize it using your windows.
What Is Passive Ventilation?
Passive ventilation refers to the process of using openings in your home such as doors, windows, vents, and louvers to bring fresh air in and expel stale air out of your home. It is also created by the pressure and temperature difference between your home’s interior and exterior. On the other hand, mechanical ventilation makes use of machines such as fans and blowers to create air movement in your home.
Here are some details to keep in mind to maximize passive ventilation:
- Your roofing contractors would probably recommend opening your windows for at least 15 minutes a day and five times a week.
- Open up windows on opposite sides of your home to help draw air into your home.
- Vents in your roof or your attic help hot air escape, keeping indoor temperatures down.
- Use the fly screens or security stays installed with your windows so that you can leave your windows open at night to keep your house cool during the summer.
Benefits of Passive Ventilation
Listed below are some of the prime benefits of passive ventilation and we’ll explain each one of them below:
- Lower Maintenance- Other than routine cleaning, passive ventilation doesn’t require as much maintenance compared to mechanical ventilation units. This also reduces the workload of your HVAC units, reducing your energy costs.
- Constant Airflow- This factor is dependent on your local climate, but leaving your windows and doors open with screens give you a constant source of airflow.
- Improved Air Quality- Promoting passive ventilation in your home allows you to let fresh air in and stale air out, improving your indoor air quality. This makes your home a healthier space to live in without the worry of airborne illnesses.
In need of quality roofing, siding, and windows? Trust in Turner Home Improvement Contractors! We have been in the roofing business since 1955. We treat our clients like we would our own family. Call us at (860) 633-1400 or fill out our contact form for a FREE estimate! We serve customers in the Rocky Hill area and the rest of CT!